Katskhi Pillar (locals call it “Pillar of Life”) is a giant natural limestone Pillar which extends from the ground up and reaches as high as 40 meters (about 12 stories high!) it is situated right next to the village of Katskhi, Georgia.
On the top surface there used to be a hermitage which was built around the 9th century, it was ruined and forgotten till 1944 when it was revisited and climbed, in 1995 it was restored and rebuilt by the state of Georgia which funded the project till 2009. now called The church of St. Maximus the Confessor, the Church is again inaccessible to visitors due to lack of funding and problams with the only way up – a narrow iron ladder.
For more information visit Wikipedia – Katskhi pillar
Next 2 Photos by Levan Nioradze